The Council of the College of Early Childhood Educators meets four times annually to oversee the College’s activities in regulating the profession in the public interest.
Here are highlights from the public portion of the Council meeting held on Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
In the spotlight
- Congratulations are in order!
- Following the elections held on April 15, we welcomed a newly elected member and RECE from District 1, Lindsey Dann, and congratulated returning members and RECEs: Laura Urso (District 1), Julie Cyr (District 2) as well as Cyndy Jefferson and Kristine Parsons (both from District 6). Find out more about the role of Council on our website.
- Council also held its own election. Stacey Lepine RECE was re-elected as President, and Julie Cyr RECE was elected as Vice President. Council members were also elected to the Executive Committee to support Stacey as President and Julie as Vice President. Members elected to the committee were Pamela Carkner, Kristine Parsons RECE, Barney Savage and Laura Urso RECE.
- Council approved the Practice Guideline on Diversity and Culture. The public document will be released in August; it is an important resource that will support RECEs in strengthening their ability to create inclusive learning environments that reflect all children and families. Some parts of the guideline were previewed in our blog article, The important role of RECEs in supporting equity and inclusion.
- Council discussed the impacts of COVID-19 on the early childhood education profession. Council also reflected on the actions taken by the College to support RECEs, including fee deferrals for members who lost income and the option to defer CPL requirements. As well, Council covered concerns expressed by members about the re-opening of child care, our statement on re-opening child care and our letter to the Minister of Education regarding the re-opening and sustainability of child care in Ontario.
Good to know
- We also welcomed to Council newly appointed public members: Garry Bates, Geneviève Breton and Cindy Harrison. Their biographies, as well as those for the newly elected RECE members, can be found here on our website.
- Our Strategic Plan has been extended to 2022. Because of the pandemic, some of the College’s planned activities were modified or deferred while pivoting to meet current needs. Planned activities will continue but have been allotted additional time for completion.
- Council reviewed the approved budget for the upcoming fiscal year (July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021). The budget reflects support for members facing financial hardships due to COVID-19, including keeping membership fees at $160, and, to ensure a balanced budget is maintained, it has significant reductions in areas such as information technology (IT) and projects.
- Subsequent to Council elections, the following were appointed as Chairs for each Committee:
- Mary Broga – Funding for Therapy
- Kim Cole RECE – Election
- Tricia Doyle RECE – Complaints
- Gillian Jackson RECE – Standards of Practice
- Cyndy Jefferson RECE – Registration; Finance and Audit
- Kristine Parsons RECE – Discipline; Fitness to Practise
- Ann Robichaud-Gagné – Registration Appeals