The Council of the College of Early Childhood Educators meets four times per year to oversee the activities of the College in regulating the profession in the public interest.
The following highlights are from the public portion of the Council meeting held January 8, 2020.
In the spotlight
- The Funding for Therapy Committee worked closely with the Province on developing the regulations that will govern the program. The Committee was pleased to announce that the regulations passed. The program is unique and tailored to the individual needs of affected children and their families. The program is now live.
- Governance Review update: Council recently commissioned a review of the College’s governance structure. The selected consultant, Deanna Williams, will present her findings to the Executive Committee in May. Her presentation will include how the College’s governance structure aligns with best practices and recommendations for next steps to achieve those best practices.
- Election 2019/2020 for Districts 1, 2 and 6 is underway. The deadline for members to send in a nomination package was January 16, 2020. For members in those districts, voting will close April 15, 2020.
Good to know
- Council President Stacey Lepine is representing the College on the Ministry of Education’s Cross-Sectoral Early Years and Child Care Advisory Group. At their most recent meeting, the College was acknowledged for its work to publish the Practice Guideline on Inclusion of Children with Disabilities.
- As of September 30, 2019, the College has 54,221 members in good standing.
- Entry to Practice Committee is looking into developing a policy on the practicum expectations for entering the profession. The policy would identify the requirements for the number of hours completed in a practicum component offered through a post-secondary institution.
- Two publicly appointed Council members will be finishing their terms: Ann Robichaud-Gagné and Karen Damley. Stacey and the Council expressed their gratitude to these Council members for their commitment and dedication during their time on Council.